Saturday, August 31, 2013

Jikan ga nai (時間がない、no time)

What an unimaginable first three days. Day One: touched base with two of my classmates, went to Top World supermarket, bought strange- and not-so-strange-looking food, shopped for clothes with a guy whose bags didn't make it (Kyle) and a few other people (Evan, Sabrina, Katie), slept in an 8-tatami-mat room with two other girls (Katie, Myriah).

Day two: Realized I left my food in the wrong kitchen (locked of course) and had to go around the outside, decided to NOT go back the way I came to get to MY seminar house, got super lost in some random neighborhood in the area, ended up getting walked back by a Peruvian woman who had lived in Japan for the last 20 years who LENT ME HER BIKE which I ended up parking in a random bike lot only to be told in the safety meeting that practically EVERYTHING I did was illegal...

[breathing now]

...and basically stressed out about allll the paperwork I had to get done.

Day three: Found the east gate (short route) and a new potential friend (Trevor), drank coffee and talked for like two hours with my friend Kyle, had zaro or zabo udon or something for lunch with my speaking partner Seiji, signed up for a bank account, found out who my host family is (with a 13-year-old girl) registered my computer with the university/national whatever with the help of a very nice tech guy, and ate a real meal at a local restaurant by MYSELF.


And y'know, there's a lot more I could tell you...but right now I'll just say that I was pretty much on the verge of tears yesterday, and now I think I'll survive. It's pretty awesome. More to come! (Like Kyoto and laundry and shopping...next post will be mostly pictures.)

No comments:

Post a Comment